If you consider the status of road cycling riders like Miguel Indurain, Fausto Coppi and Eddy Merckx and transfer it to cyclo-cross you’ll get a picture of how much of a legend Sven Nys is in this demanding sport.
The 42-year-old Belgian has spent time visiting Bogense in order to get an impression of the surroundings in which the UCI World Championships 2019 will take place.
“Ever since 1998, when I won my second World Championship gold as a U23 rider in Middelfart, I’ve been in love with Denmark and especially this part of Funen. The countryside and towns are really nice, you are extraordinarily well received and there are many opportunities for cyclo-cross with other challenges than we might be used to. It’s a big asset to our sport that events are not predictable,” says Sven Nys after having studied the World Championship track closely.
“Creative thinking is incredibly positive and last year’s World Cup stage in Bogense was one of the most exciting innovations in cyclo-cross for many years,” says “The Cannibal of Baal”.
“Apart from Bogense being a beautiful place, it’s a great advantage that the venue is easily accessible to fans from my part of the world. So I’m sure that many Belgians will pack the camper and take the relatively short trip to North Funen to get an extraordinary experience in the first weekend of February 2019. ”
- 42 years – born and living in Baal, Belgium – halfway between Antwerp and Brussels
- U 23 World Champion: 1997 (Munich) and 1998 (Middelfart)
- World Champion: 2005 (Sankt Wendel, Germany), 2013 (Louisville, USA)
- World Cup medals: 2x silver, 5x bronze (Silver in his last season – 2014)
- World Cup wins: 6 times – winning a total of 50 races.
- Super Prestige winner: 13 times – 55 victories in total
- Belgian champion: 9 x cyclo-cross, 5 x mountainbike
- Has a race named after him and as of the year 2000, Sven Nys GP has been part of the race calendar. Nys himself has won 12 times of 17 times possible.
- Since 2016, Nys has been team manager of Telenet Fidea Lions continental team with cross stars Toon Aerts and Lars van der Haar in the team.
- In addition he is a frequent TV commentator.